Working with Open Data
Using the opendata.scot data
Metadata for datasets listed on opendata.scot can be accessed in JSON format Daily JSON file dumps of our Analytics data can be accessed at https://github.com/OpenDataScotland/opendata.scot_analytics.
To learn more about how the data is processed see the Tools & Tech section of our documentation.
Using Open Data
- Shapefile to GeoJSON convertor
- Measuring the impact of data institutions | report, 2022. The Open Data Institute
- More than half of Scots councils do not publish data, 2022. The Ferret
- What is open data and why does it matter?, 2022. The David Hume Institute
- Open Address File UK: Campaigning for an open address file for the UK
- The FAIR principles for publishing data or digital objects
- Open Data and FAIR Data: differences and similarities, 2019. Cristina Luque, ogoov.com
- Radical action needed on data, 2022. Gemma Diamond, Audit Scotland
Working with Scotland's Open Data
We've put together some helpful resources you may want to use when working with common datasets associated with Scotland and the rest of the UK.
GSS CodesWhen working with UK public sector data, here are some of the common lookups for Government Statistical Service codes:
- NHS Special Health Boards and National Facilities (SBXXXX codes)>
- NHS Strategic Business Units (SBU08XXXX codes)>
- NHS Speciality Code (XXX codes)>
- NHS Health Boards (SO80000XX codes)>
- Local Authority Districts (April 2023) Names and Codes in the UK